Bridging material

Old 03-10-02, 10:39 AM
Alwayssomething
Visiting Guest
Bridging material

Okay, we finally finished papering bathroom #1. I can see imperfections under the paper even though I applied 2 coats of Zinnsler Guardz, cut out bubbles, "applied joint compound and sanded" three times, and then applied Zinnsler Shieldz. I'm so happy its finally done I don't even care about the imperfections; they are disappointing though after putting in so much work. Now we are on bathroom #2, and the same problem of no primer/sealer being applied under paper. So the drywall is getting damaged as I'm removing the paper again. This time however there are pieces of bridging material applied to the walls in different places. At other places there was old foil paper. The bridging material was coming up at the edges, and some of it had mold behind it, so I stripped it off. I'm thinking I should try bridging material in this bathroom instead of the painstaking processes I used in the other bathroom. I have stripped off all the old bridging material and paper. My question is should I apply Zinnsler Guardz before I apply the bridging material? And should I apply anything on top of the bridging material? Previously it looked like they had a skim coat of something over the bridging material and old foil paper. Thanks!

Old 03-10-02, 10:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Bridging material

Originally posted by Alwayssomething
My question is should I apply Zinnsler Guardz before I apply the bridging material? And should I apply anything on top of the bridging material?
1. Yes
2. You might apply a little spackle to the seam areas of the bridging material to smooth these out. Also, so people go the extra mile and skim coat the entire surface of the liner to assure a smooth finish. If you intend on painting the liner, a skim coat would ensure a smooth appearance. If you are re-papering, this step isn't as important, but helpful. There are others that would prime the material after installation as well. This is more important if you are re-papering as the liner becomes the "new wall surface" and stripping the top coat should leave the liner behind. Priming is not as important if you plan on painting the liner.

Old 03-10-02, 01:19 PM
Alwayssomething
Visiting Guest
What do I use to skim coat?

After applying Guardz and then the bridging material I want to wallpaper. Should I apply Zinnsler Guardz first over the bridging material then a skim coat? Or the skim coat and then the Guardz? And what do I use for skim coat? Thank you again!

Old 03-10-02, 04:45 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Skim coat first. Use whatever joint compound you like. I prefer Fast and Final. It sets up and you are ready for priming in an hour or so. Other brands require longer wait times. If you didn't know, skim coating is the technique where you apply just enough to fill in all the tiny grooves, bumps, and divots in the liner. It can take awhile and you might want to invest in one of the wide spackle knives. Once dry, prime away. This will give you a rock solid surface that should allow you to later remove your paper and repaper or paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: