removing wallpaper from behind a toilet

Old 03-15-02, 03:29 PM
spiritdream
Visiting Guest
Question removing wallpaper from behind a toilet

I am in the process of removing wallpaper in a bathroom. I have removed all of it except behind the toilet. It is a small space and no real way to get behind the toilet. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-02, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
I know it may sound daunting, but best thing to do is remove the toilet. Search the plumbing archives and you'll find a number of posts on toilet removal and installation. It's not that hard.
Basic procedure is drain tank, remove nuts from the hold-down bolts, lift out toilet. Installation is reversed except for first cleaning off all the old wax ring residue and installing new wax ring and hold-down bolts. When it's in place, sit down for a few minutes to seat the toilet down onto the wax ring beofre tightening nuts on hold-down bolts. Most importantly DO NO OVERTIGHTEN as you can crack the toilet.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-02, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The tow guy offers great advice. An alternate method is to use a wallpaper stripping blade tool. They sell these with wallpaper supplies or spackling tools at home improvement stores. It is a handle about a foot long with a 3-4 inch metal blade on the end designed for scraping. I use mine all the time. Once the paper/backing material is scraped away, I will throw a rag over the end of the tool and wash with the tool in spaces I can't reach. It is a blessing for scraping and in a pinch, give you the longer arms you sometimes wish for.

I would say buying the tool or removing the tank are the main two options and you should decide which is right for you. Either will require a trip to a hardware store. The new wax ring for your toilet is $1 and the scraping tool, if I remember correctly, is around $5.

Old 03-16-02, 07:52 AM
spiritdream
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks so much! I will probably try the scrapper first. And, lol, considering I've done the stripping so far with one arm broken, its at least something I can try by myself. I'm really glad to have found this site. What a Great place!

Old 03-16-02, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
With a broken arm I would definitely try the scraper first! Also depending on what's going back ON the wall, you may end up wanting to remove the toilet anyway.