wallpaper liner

Old 03-17-02, 04:12 PM
cathyc
Visiting Guest
wallpaper liner

I just took down some old wallpaper and found a paper liner underneath. Do I need to remove it? I wanted to paint, but am afraid if I remove this, plaster may fall out? Do not know, didn't put this stuff up. If I paper over it, how do I prep it, or do I need to? the old stuff peeled off beautifully from it.

Old 03-17-02, 06:15 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depends on what type of paper it is. If it appears to paper, as in notebook paper thickness (maybe slightly thicker) and really smooth, you should remove it if you plan on painting. If it has a textured finish sort of like a coffee filter, it can stay. There are two types of liners. One, the smooth stuff, is for use under wallpaper. If this is the type you have, then you may hang new wallpaper over it, if you want to paint, I would remove it. The other liner is bridging material, it is slightly thicker and generally has a fiberous texture to it. This is applied over problem or textured surfaces. You can paint or wallpaper over it. If you have the bridging material, you spackle any problem areas to create a smooth surface for painting. You want to ensure that all of the old wallpaper paste is off the surface prior to painting and priming it first woudn't be a bad idea either. Usually hot water and dishwashing soap will remove all the old paste. Using a darker colored cloth during the scrubbing process can help as well because you can see the glue on the cloth as you scrub. Now if you plan on papering over the bridging material, no prep should be necessary, just hang new paper. If it ends up being the thin liner paper, don't worry about the plaster falling out, strip it away and paint the wall. Stripping instructions are included on my site if it gives you any trouble.

Old 10-23-11, 06:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just read this post. It applies to my situation.
I have easily peeled old wall paper off. There is the fuzzy thick backing on a textured Sheetrock wall. The backing is on with multiple seams showing. I assume they will show if painted over as is.
Question: Do I wash the wall with soap and h20, feather in the seams with spackle compound, prime and paint. Can I skip any of the steps?

Old 10-24-11, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums jamied!

If water makes the backer start to lift - you need to remove it! Generally if you intend to paint over the backer [or any wallpaper] you need to apply a coat of oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz. Gardz is the only latex primer that would be suitable. The primer would be applied before the j/c or spackling. You would need to prime the repairs also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: