Curling Edges

Old 04-04-02, 12:17 AM
sdfixer
Visiting Guest
Angry Curling Edges

Why are ONLY the edges of my pre-pasted wallpaper not sticking?? Also, do you have to wait more than 48-hours to wallpaper over a newly painted wall??

Old 04-04-02, 10:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I always paste ready pasted vinyls with a slightly thinner than normal paste because of the problems that you describe..
If you have already papered a large area,check to see if the seams still meet when pushed together...If they do then brush some border adhesive to the back of the seams and leave for 5 mins and roll them together with a wooden seam roller and clean down seams with a damp clean sponge.
24 hours is ample time for your water based wall paint to be papered over..

Old 04-04-02, 11:18 PM
Y
dried up

just a note to tell u why the edges dont stick
1-the paper is probably a couple of years old and the glue dried up
2- the factory screwed up spraying it on
3-the backing is not expanding at the same rate as the face of the paper(did you "book" the paper for a couple of minutes?
4-improper surface prep
this may or may not help, but everyone likes to have a reason to blame it on

let us know what happens
cheers

Old 04-04-02, 11:23 PM
Y
let me explain

my previous post states possible reasons.
it could be one of them or a couple, not all of them
sorry if i didnt explain properly first
cheers

Old 04-05-02, 01:59 PM
W
Instead of painting before you should have used a primer! That might be a contributing factor. Also, the type of wallpaper you are using can cause this. Here is my solution, though the ones previously offered all have merit.

Paste your paper using a 50/50 watered down amount of Professional 880 wallpaper paste. Book your wallpaper for 10 minutes. After wall application, do not use a seam roller or otherwise heavy hand, on the seam areas. Wait 10 minutes then use your seam roller, or a heavy swipe with a plastic smoother. This should "set" your seams. If you continue to have problems, you will have to go hardcore.

You can apply a thin layer of clay based wallpaper adhesive to all areas where the seams will fall ahead of time and let this tack up. Then apply your paper. Also, you can paste blank cash register tape to the wall where the seams fall first. Yes, I said cash register tape . You can buy this at an office store. Paste the tape along the seam areas and let dry. The next day, all seam problems will be gone, and though weird, you will be a believer in the solution.

The reason for this crazy idea is that it will act identical to liner paper. This type of wallpaper is designed for wallpapers that mis-behave like yours. It absorbs extra moisture and decreases the drying time of the seams. For more info on liner papers, go to http://www.wallliner.com/why.html

I wish you the best with your project

Old 04-05-02, 03:35 PM
T
Then apply your paper. Also, you can paste blank cash register tape to the wall where the seams fall first. Yes, I said cash register tape
dont forget your reciept!!...Its V.A.T refundable!!

Old 04-05-02, 09:04 PM
W
Top,

Even though I am a Yank, I appreciate and understand your humor!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: