Top Layer of Particle Board Lost. Can I paint over this?

Old 05-25-02, 04:12 PM
dre1988
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Top Layer of Particle Board Lost. Can I paint over this?

Hi All,

My Memorial Daty weekend is turning into a nightmare. I have a new house that had two layers of wallpaper in the bathroom that I would like to remove and replace with latex paint. This wallpaper was attached directly to the particle board forming the wall. I was stripping the wallpaper using a steam stripper and I pulled on the wallpaper to remove it. I'm not sure if I pulled too hard (I'm a bit heavy-handed) or if it was because the wallpaper was attached to the particle board but I ended up pulling out large sections of the particle baord top layer along with the wall paper. Now I can see the brown paperlike surface of the particle board. Can I just paint over this or do I need to spackle the entire wall where the top layer of the particle board was lost? See the URL below for a picture of the wall. Please help!

Thanks,
AL

Last edited by dre1988; 05-25-02 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-25-02, 07:06 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what type of particle board you are referring to because your pictures aren't working. Once you have all the paper off the wall, close you eyes and feel the entire surface with your hand. Now realize that any imperfections that you can feel, might be amplified visually with paint. You should go over any nail holes or bad areas with joint compound and sand the surface smooth. Then primer and paint away. If you need more wallpaper stripping help, you can visit my site for it under the do it yourself section. It sounds like you see why I don't recommend steamers. They can be too agressive. Best of luck with the rest of your project.

Old 05-25-02, 09:34 PM
dre1988
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice! I fixed the link to the picture. Please let me know what you think.

AL

Old 05-25-02, 10:36 PM
W
It looks like you just ripped the facing material off. Skim coat with some joint compound, sand, and you should be alright.

Old 05-27-02, 07:18 AM
T
Ive just done my wall at home that was in the same state as yours..What I did was prime the brown damaged area with an oil based wall primer...when that was dry i sanded surface...I then face filled the damaged area with a large filling blade 12" wide and sanded again...Primed the filled area and then re lined the whole wall with 1000 grade lining paper..Painted over this and it looks like new plaster...Even if I do say so myself!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: