Wallpaper Over Cabinets?

Old 06-11-02, 05:47 PM
MorningStar
Visiting Guest
Question Wallpaper Over Cabinets?

Hello can someone tell me if I could wallpaper over my formica kitchen cabinets I know it sounds nuts but I will try anything to put some life in my old dark ugly cabinets
Thanks
MorningStar

Old 06-12-02, 07:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can but the problem you have is making it bond to the vinyl surface....Try this...cut your lengths and wet the back of them..leave them to soak for 10 mins and then brush on a border adhesive to the back of the paper...then hang and trim with a snap off blade....This should work but I must admit tht I have never tried it!! I shoulnt think many people have!!

Have you thought about priming,painting a base coat and applying a faux effect???? There are so many effects to choose from including woodgrain...stipple....rag roll....marble.... stencils...
distressing...colour wash...the list goes on...and its not rocket science I can assure you....Look into the possiilities first..You may be glad you did!!

Old 06-12-02, 12:48 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yours is a real hard question to answer, but formica is a hard gloss surface and can be wallpapered. Clean the cabinets with a degreaser and apply a prep coat such as Roman's R-35, Zinsser's Z-54, California Paint's Prep' N Size, Golden Harvest's BITE, Muralo's Adhesium, Swing Paint's Prep-Coat, and Benjamin Moore's Wall-Grip.

Other primer could work, but the above listed primers were designed for your surface situation. Though I haven't wallpapered cabinets, if you have a particular paper in mind, I don't see why it wouldn't turn out well.

Like Toptosher said though, painting is another option and would give you more complete coverage depending on how the edges of your cabinets are beveled or in some cases, multi-beveled. Best of luck.

Old 07-12-02, 08:50 AM
MorningStar
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up THANKS

I wanted to say thank you to both of you. I went with paint.
I found info on ZINSSER primer products and went with
ZINSSER BIN PRIMER that is made to go over formica & other hard to cover surface. After using the primer the top coat covered great. MY cabinets look like new ones, everyone that sees them can't get over how they came out. What a change a little color can make in a room. I went from very DARK to very Light in color and it makes the room look bigger to.
Thank You again
MorningStar

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: