Hanging wallpaper on angled walls

Old 07-17-02, 03:27 PM
Sultin2
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Hanging wallpaper on angled walls

I neeed any tips you have on hanging paper on dormer walls. I would think to mesure the height on both ends and add 2 inches. But what about the drop match?
Thanks

Old 07-17-02, 06:06 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can probably provide assistance, but I need more information.

What do you mean by dormer walls?
Do you mean window dormers in a wall?
Do you mean the architectural feature of a dormer?

Dimensions of room?
Do you already have your paper?
How much is the drop match?
Have you prepared the walls for your wallpaper?
Have you hung wallpaper in the past?

Old 07-17-02, 07:51 PM
Sultin2
Visiting Guest
wallpaper

Thank you
The roof pitch is the angle I am talking about. I would say at the corners it is 3' and 7' at the peak.
There are no corners as we are onlk papering the window and door walls.
The drop is 10 1/2'' I think.
Thank you so much
Mitchell

Old 07-18-02, 01:49 PM
W
This question then is mainly about engineering. This is what I would do. Find the center of your wallpaper pattern. This could be in the center of your roll or somewhere in the middle of two, you have to find this out. Align this with the center of your dormer (the 7' part). Starting from the middle will allow you to have a centered pattern at the focal point of your wall.

Here you have to decide.....Do you want the main pattern at eye level (letting excess falling where it may on the top and bottom) or do you want to arrange the paper so that it is centered from top to bottom, with empahsis on pattern appearance at the top and bottom of the wall?

Since this isnt a perfect world, you will have to make the choice. If the wall is usually seen from afar, you may want to choose the centered pattern method. If seen close, you want to lean toward the main pattern at eye level. I generally decide for my customers based on amount and distance of viewing.

Best of luck, write back for additional help.

Old 07-18-02, 04:23 PM
Sultin2
Visiting Guest
wallpapper angles

So I was right about cutting the angles in my first post?

Old 07-18-02, 06:28 PM
W
Thanks for the reminder about the original question. The angles.....once again, a judgement call based on how you feel it will look. I would go ahead and do the whole area. If you square it off, you will have to put up a border or chair rail over the horizontal line, or be VERY careful with your cuts to make it look right. The easiest way is to paper the full area. Excluding the top could add an interesting element of design though which would accentuate the dormer feature. With wallpaper there are no rules, just what you personally think looks correct. Some people do the ceiling, do half a wall, even put it on the floor!! I would spend a few minutes in a chair and a little imagination....decide which is best for your particular area and go for it. Best of luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: