Want That Fancy Ceiling

Old 08-06-02, 09:57 PM
BRAINSMASHER
Visiting Guest
Want That Fancy Ceiling

Well I know this is walls, but I see it also seems to cover the type of ceiling I would like to create. Here is a link to some examples.
http://www.artex.20m.com/photo.html . I have done alot of homeowner drywall as well as some pretty difficult home building projects but I am not a pro. My plan is to use mud and thin it slightly with water to get a smooth flowing mix. The ceiling has been cleaned of it's previous popcorn and is dry with good paper.
The current floor is history and the room is empty so mess is not an issue. My questions are these: I assume I should prime the drywall ceiling first, any issues here? Is there a superior product that I should use instead of the mud mixture? and what are the added difficulties if any. Last but not least: is this an incredibly difficult job that just appears to be do-able by someone who has never done a hand textured / combed pattern on a ceiling before?
I suppose that I can always scape off the mud before it dries and go with a knockdown type texture if it looks horrible. I plan on using a trowel and a texturing comb to get the desired look. So,
do I stand a chance or is this something that takes ten years experiance just to think about. Thanks

Old 08-17-02, 09:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
artexing ceilings

BRAINSMASHER,

I noticed that noone answered your question and I hope this not too late but if you click the link below, I hope your questions will be answered completely.

http://www.wsh.freeuk.com/faq.htm (Once there, click to the other sites listed within , seemed like good stuff!)

Your questions are hard to answer but artexing is not that hard if you don't overwork yourself. The finish is basically what you like and want. You could practice on a small area first to get the hang of it then procede with confidence. I personally have not done this but when I have gone to projects where it is being done, I am amazed at how fast these guys do it.

Hope the site helps!

Old 08-18-02, 05:02 AM
BRAINSMASHER
Visiting Guest
DONE YESTERDAY

Thanks for the reply Doug, ironically I just did it yesterday!
I'm happy with the results, my wife thinks it's awesome.
I still have to knock off a few hangers I got here and there and
I'll try and touch up the few spots where it dragged a little and then I will
be satisfied with it myself. By the time I got done with it I was getting pretty fast at doing it myself and was developing an efficient technique. It was not an easy task as far as the strain on the 40 year old body goes. By tomorrow I will probably be paralyzed and if I did it a few more times I would probably end up looking like a fiddler crab with a giant right arm, but now I have a unique ceiling that has visual depth and really looks like I spent some bucks on it. Over all it was not too easy, but worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: