Stucco, you will not believe where!

Old 08-08-02, 12:28 PM
Seragilo
Visiting Guest

One of the previous home owners decided to put stucco from floor to ceiling, of course including the ceiling, in the downstairs bathroom! We are looking to use Barker board for the walls, and were wondering if we should remove the stucco before we attempt to install the Barker board. It looks like the ceiling actually threw-up, and has turned to a wonderful shade of yellow around the sink and shower.... BLAH!

I was also wondering what the best way to remove stucco would be if it came to that.

Seragilo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-02, 09:16 PM

Seragilo,

I noticed that your post had not been answered, maybe I can help.

Based on the thickness of the barker board, you may want to remove the stucco. I realize that this will be messy but it may be the best choice.

Curious why you are selecting barker board for a finish versus other types of applications?

Good Luck!

Old 08-20-02, 06:56 PM
Seragilo
Visiting Guest
Stucco

I picked the Barker Board for a few reasons. One is that I have found it to be the least permanent out of all the choices out there. We are hoping to change the bathroom around someday but for right now I would just like to get rid of the terrible stained, yellow walls. Also the Barker Board has an amazing blue marble sheet that I have picked out which is bold enough to match the rest of my home. I use as much colour as possible, I tend to shy away from natural and subtle colours.

I was hoping for a quick fix, but I guess I will pull out my water bottle and scaper and get to work.

Thanks for the help!

Seragilo

Old 08-20-02, 09:06 PM
PhilMiller
Visiting Guest
Just wondering, the stucco, is that the stuff that people have on there celing that is very rough? We just bought a house and it is on the celing and we would like to remove it but are not sure if it will be possible. Do you folks have nay ides as wether it is a big job or not? I am not a big fan of it. Thanks for helping out the "green home owner"

Phil

Old 08-20-02, 09:55 PM
Stucco Ceiling?

PhilMiller,

I'm not sure if you are asking about plaster ceilings or a blown textured ceiling. Let's assume that you are talking about plaster and it has a rough finish.

Removal is not a fun job, extermely dusty (wear a mask and goggles) and you have to wear leather gloves. Metal lathe may be under the plaster and hands can be easily cut. Depending on your existing sidewalls, when you have removed the plaster, you possibly may require a moulding to take care of the gap that will be present if you desire to install drywall back to the ceiling joists. Stucco can be 3/4" thick or more. Some install furring strips to the joists to avoid installing trim and apply drywall, tape/sand and paint. Nowdays, the cove mouldings are relatively cheap and look great.

Alternative is to apply drywall directly over the plaster, as long as the roughness is uniform and that you have a sound substrate. This is the quickest and cleanest way to do things. A good taper can complete it and then all you have to do is paint and this would include painting your sidewalls.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-20-02, 10:41 PM
PhilMiller
Visiting Guest
Actually I figured out what it is, Popcorn Textured Ceiling. From what I understand (from a few hours of research on the web) is that I can scrape it off and then sand it. My only issue will be wether it is drywall or plaster underneath. That will determine the method of removal, i guess.
Not really sure if we will be removing it or living with it. We would like to put up molding along the celing and it would not look right with this popcorn texture.
Thanks for the quick relpy and looking forward to any other suggestions you or others might have!

Phil Miller