Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing paneling from dry wall

Visiting Guest

08-10-02, 10:06 AM   #1  
johnsw

I recently removed paneling from my walls only to discover that there are spots of adhesive residue all over the dry wall. Added to that the walls were never primed before attaching the panelling. Can I remove this adhesive without totally damaging the wallboard? I have tried scraping and sanding to no avail.

Sponsored Links

AZ

08-17-02, 09:22 PM   #2  

johnsw,

I'm sorry to say that you answered your own question. Removal is time consuming and when you have removed it, you would have to apply skim coat over it and then sand. You already know the answer, time to remove and install new drywall.

Good Luck!

Visiting Guest

09-01-02, 08:16 PM   #3  
johnsw
Just thought you might like to know... I found a glass scraper (interchangable with four blades) and used this on the residue. It worked!!! I was able to get most of the glue off without ruining the wall board. the few places where the paper came with the glue, I patched and sanded. i put primer on today and it doesn't look too bad. I did have to change the blade very often which may have been expensive in a larger room.

Search this Thread