Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best way to remove drywall?

Visiting Guest

08-24-02, 09:56 AM   #1  
curtis_strain
Best way to remove drywall?

I'm removing one (possibly two) entire walls of drywall in a small room (7' by 9') to get access to the wiring and plumbing behind. What's the best way to remove the entire panel. Should I try to find the screws in the stud, or just cut along the studs. I've searched the web and a couple of diy books, but can't find this. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-24-02, 02:45 PM   #2  
bungalow jeff
You'll tear up the drywall beyond usefulness trying to find the screws. Turn off the electrical power to any wires in the wall and use a drywall saw. This is a small dagger-like hand saw. You twist it in a circle to drive it through the drywall, then start sawing. You can clean the edges up with a sharp utility knife after you are done working in the wall.

Visiting Guest

08-25-02, 07:33 AM   #3  
curtis_strain
gotcha. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 08:50 AM   #4  
Davef15
If you are talking about completely removing the drywall from the studs, the easiest way I have found is to cut the dry wall from the ceiling to the floor in between each stud. This way you have some leverage to pull the drywall off. Then you will have to go back and remove the nails or screws. (make sure you check for pipes and wires behind the wall first)

Search this Thread