Gap in Wallboard

Old 08-29-02, 12:20 PM
shammer
Visiting Guest
Gap in Wallboard

There are a couple of instances where the wallboard that I have put up has about a 3/8" gap where attached at the stud. Will simply pressing in some excess joint compound be sufficient before applying the joint tape? Or, is there a better product that I could put into this gap?

My fear is that eventually we will hammer a nail into this gap and it might cause a split down the seam.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 11:08 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
i have never had a problem with filling gaps like that today, letting them dry and then mud and tape as usual the next day.

Old 09-05-02, 08:05 PM
Melmcbth
Visiting Guest
I agree with Dickh... I have done the same thing at my house... can't stand those ugly "cheater" strips. I treat those seams the same way I would seams in sheetrock. Beware though, wallboard has a tendency to "bow" into the space between the studs... probably because they are so far apart. I found I had to use a faux finish to hide the different levels of my walls in one room...
Those new Wallmagic double rollers work very well as far as I am concerned.
e-mail me if you have any other questions.
good luck and remember.. it wasn't your spouse that hit your thumb with the hammer.

m

Old 09-06-02, 05:44 AM
shammer
Visiting Guest
GAP IN WALLBOARD

Thank you both. I have another question as well.

In hindsight, I probably should have added extra 2x4s; but I didn't. When the 4 foot span of the wallboard did not land squarely in the center of a stud and needed to be trimmed more than the 3" or so of the tapered section of the wallboard, I find myself with either two pieces of wallboard that have both been cut in this manner or one that is cut and one that still has its finished edge.

My question is if there are any special techniques to compensate for the fact that I am not taping and mudding on a section that is tapered? I am concerned that these seams will hump out slightly due to this. Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-02, 08:03 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
so basically what you have is a butt joint. mud tape feather and finish like a butt joint and the seam should be barely noticable if at all.

Old 09-06-02, 10:33 PM
Melmcbth
Visiting Guest
ok, I am officially dickh's cheering section, I say listen to him

Search this Thread