Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Converting Window to Wall

Visiting Guest

09-01-02, 08:48 PM   #1  
Janell Fields
Converting Window to Wall

We added on a prefab patio room to our house that is connected to the wall of our dining room. We would like to convert the window on that wall to a solid wood panel with shelves on the dining room side and a solid wall on the patio side. I know we need to remove the existing window and it's frame...but after that we are stumped on where to begin. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-02, 09:27 AM   #2  
dickh
nothing special here. remove the window, measure the opening. get enough 2x4's to put one on each side of the old window and one every 16" in the opening. preferably to match the studs in the wall. insulate. measure from studs to outer edge of the wall. assuming it's 1/2" sheetrock, get a big enough piece to fit the opening and nail or screw that on. no real need to finish that if you putting wood paneling over it anyway. just need to have it even with the rest of the wall. same on the outside of the wall. buy what you need to match whatever is there for sheeting and siding and nail it on.

good luck!

Visiting Guest

09-11-02, 10:10 AM   #3  
Janell Fields
Thanks for the instructions, Dickh! I've printed them out and will share them with my husband! It sounds easier than I'd thought!

Search this Thread