Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How much Mud on tape

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 01:17 PM   #1  
PipeBender
How much Mud on tape

I am new to the mud and tape stuff so I could use some advice. How much mud do you put on the wall before you apply the paper tape?

Also, do you then completely cover the tape or just put enough one to make it stay in place.

Do you ever completely cover the tape with mud?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 03:24 PM   #2  
AmericanPainter
Just enough for the tape to stick (1st coat), cover (2nd coat), 3rd is to blend it.

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 05:10 AM   #3  
PipeBender
Is second coat applied after first coat is dry and sanded?

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 06:25 AM   #4  
AmericanPainter
Has to be dry but doesn't have to be sanded. Just knock off the high parts with your knife prior to your second coat. Pending how smooth you are with your knife as to weather or not you want to lightly sand between 2nd and 3rd coats. If you are good you just have to sand the edges to finish the blending after the 3rd coat.

The most important coat is the 1st coat. It takes the longest but has to be applied thick initially and taken down to the bare minimum just for the tape to bond.

Good luck and happy taping.

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 07:04 AM   #5  
PipeBender
Does the tape show through the first coat , second and third coat?

Here is what I did. Using a 4" putty knife I applied some mud to the seam between the two sheets of Sheetrock. I then placed a piece of tape (paper, no holes) over this mud. Using the 4" knife I then pressed the tape into the mud using long even strokes. Quite a bit of mud came out from the edges but I did not put it back over the top of the tape. When the edges of the tape seemed to be touching the wallboard and the surface appeared smooth I stopped.

When this was dry I lightly sanded then applied more mud to the top of the tape and wiped along the tape with the 6" knife again. This seemed to help feather the edges a little. But it did not completely cover the tape.

After the second coat dried I sanded again. In spots it looked like the tape was being roughed up. This is one of my concerns. Is this supposed to happen?

The third coat was applied using an 8" drywall knife. Again I spread the mud over the tape then went back over the tape holding the knife against the wall. This spread the mud out over a wider area but I had trouble keeping groves from forming over the tape. So should I put it on thick and sand down to the tape?

Visiting Guest

09-04-02, 08:42 AM   #6  
AmericanPainter
You should not sand the tape area itself. The objective is to sand the edges of where the compound meets the drywall to blend it and leave the tape alone. Maybe a fine once over after the third coat, but stay away from the tape. You are ripping the tape with your sanding apparatus.

You have to completely cover the tape period. If the mud does not cover you have to "build the area up" with compound.

You have got the right idea but stay away from the sanding. The key is applying thin coats and minimal sanding. You shouldn't really have to sand that much. Just to feather the drywall.

BTW when I sand drywall I love the little sanding sponge (220) as it conforms to the drywall nicely rather than screens or paper.

Enjoy.

Search this Thread