How to Drywall tub enclosure

Old 09-19-02, 04:35 PM
Mark Nolte
Visiting Guest
How to Drywall tub enclosure

Ripped the old bathroom clean, installed a 2-piece tub/enclosure.
Got 1/2" greenboard. Bought lathe to "level" the fiberglass enclosure wall- a spacer to clear the 3/16" fiberglass lip.
I planned to leave the butt-end of the greenboard unfinished, with a reasonable overlap over the enclosure lip. Then I would level it to the enclosure's top "step" with paintable caulk before I primer and paint.
Leaving that edge unfinished bothers me, but I've never heard of a tape to put over the edge. Not sure that "joint" of caulk to drywall would stay put, and a hairline crack might allow water to seep in.

I bought some thin galvanized (?) U-shaped channel that might work, but I'm not sure metal-to-fiberglass is a good idea, or worth the trouble.
I'm pretty sure filling the gap with mud is a bad idea, too.

What's the best way to finish the enclosure? Just set the sheetrock in there and expect 1/2" thick caulk to seal it? Is this where I learn about grout?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 08:36 AM
Warp50
Visiting Guest
Fill the gap with mud, level to the drywall, might take more than one coat. Get some 2" ceramic butt tile, go around entire enclosure. Use white grout on tile; apply a bead of caulk at tile/enclosure seam.

Old 09-30-02, 08:13 PM
Mark Nolte
Visiting Guest
I gave up on tile because the house flexes. The floor joists are on 18" centers. While the fiberglass enclosure is pretty secure, I've decided that anything that doesn't flex is doomed.

Just how "forgiving" is the tile? Does the grout really allow a teensy bit of flexing of the enclosure and walls?

Thanks for the idea- I hadn't considered the tile. I could get it on color to brighten the place up a bit!

Mark

Old 10-01-02, 03:58 AM
Warp50
Visiting Guest
All houses flex, no getting around it. I've had this tile arrangement for 10 years are it is still holding up. Grout is pretty strong stuff. You may have to re-grout someday but not for a long time. Good luck.