New ceiling over popcorn ceiling

Old 09-17-02, 12:37 PM
o_sissy
Visiting Guest
New ceiling over popcorn ceiling

Just bought a house that has popcorn ceiling in living/dining/entry. The ceiling has been painted and we had it tested for asbestos (yes, it's got asbestos).

So - we thought either pay someone to take it out (that's $$$) or put up a new ceiling over it.

Has anyone ever done this?

Pros/Cons? We won't be doing it ourselves, we are getting a quote from a contractor so not asking about the job, just things like does it lower the ceiling too much? It's a standard height right now (9 foot?). The contractor says to use 1/2 inch boards, we originally though 1/8 but he said it wouldn't be strong enough.

thx,
Sissy

Old 09-18-02, 04:23 PM
1CardShy
Visiting Guest
Curious where you are from? But i believe you can remove the popcorn yourself as a homeowner. Usually a very low content of asbestos(3-4%) in popcorn ceilings. There is a tool out there that you can buy that has a scraping blade and a square opening with clips. You attach the trashbag to the clips and scrape away. It will remove a little easier is you spray the ceiling down first with a water bottle. But, If the ceiling is ok as it is then there is no need to replace it or cover it. If the asbestos people are saying that you need to remove it or cover it just because it is there, they are wrong. Unless your state is having some sort of asbestos removal campain. It is only harmful when it becomes fryable(dusty and fiberous). But it may be different there than it is here. Always research and get more than one estimate, and remember that the asbestos guys have the market cornered. Hope that helps some.

Old 09-23-02, 02:25 PM
o_sissy
Visiting Guest
thx for reply

Thx for the reply -

I live in Oregon. We found out that our "new (1964)" house has ~4% asbestos in the ceilings.

We decided to paint it downstairs - and, found that really easy. I read stories about painting taking off the ceiling but we had no problem using a roller. Plus, it's not very textured, so it looks good to us (we have to live there!)....

Upstairs we did remove the ceiling in the bedrooms/hallway but when we got to the living/dining, it's painted. So, it's rock-hard and I guess we could soak it forever before trying.

The guy that quoted us to put up the new ceiling is totally independent of the asbestos abatement company. When we brought him in (we need the bedrooms celings textured), he didn't even know about the asbestos. So, I know he isn't out to rob us - he also told us that it didn't have to be covered, but he would also not remove it!

I have called around and abatement companies charge ~$4-5/sq ft. Ouch...when we have ~1000 sq feet. Thus, we thought the installation of sheet rock over the celing would be cheaper.

So - the guy quoted the ~1000sqft ceiling, textured and texturing 3 bedrooms & hallway for ~$1100. I didn't think this sound too bad (seems labor intensive).

What I am most worried about is having it get wavy (which is why the contractor said he wanted to use 1/2" sheetrock opposed to 1/8", it's one big room). OR - potential problems down the road.

Or - heck, maybe after reading your post, we will tackle it...

thx,
Sissy

Old 09-23-02, 07:41 PM
1CardShy
Visiting Guest
Your welcome!

Unless you just cannot stand the popcorn ceiling that is hard, you could paint over it which would be inexpensive. But if you don't like it, the next best would be the drywall guy. Asbestos removal can get very expensive.

I think they make a roller that paints very smoothly on a textured ceiling.

About the 1/8 drywall, I have never heard of it. Hard to find 1/4 inch round here. Usually 1/2 or 5/8 is the norm. Also something to consider, if you cover up the ceiling with drywall and you eventually have to take it down, it will have to be removed by an asbestos abatement company. Which may be expensive in the long run.

Same as asbestos tiles that have been covered with carpet. The asbestos removal team will have to take up the carpet because it might disturb the asbestos demons. At least thats what I am told.

And again I hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: