paint issue in the bathroom

Old 09-24-02, 08:25 PM
egiblock
Visiting Guest
paint issue in the bathroom

quick qustions.. in my gf's bathroom i am redoing the whole thing pretty much... there's an issue with the paint that was underneith the wallpaper.

1. removing the wall paper i noticed there was a layer of paint on the wall.. i started scraping the paint off, and noticed that i could just grab a piece of paint, and peel it off of the wall... i was told that i should rip off all of the paint, put 2-3 coats of an oil-based primer, and then a semi-gloss latex paint should be applied over the oil-based primer.. is this correct ??

2. ref to #1. only half of the paint in the bathroom is coming off. the other half i am going to keep on wall and paint over. the stuff i am going to paint over, can i put the oil-based primer over the old paint ? will it stick to it ??

thanks people

Old 09-25-02, 03:26 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Are you sure that its just paint that you're pulling off or is it another layer of wallpaper? Then make sure that you've removed all the wallpaper glue and apply a single coat of oil base interior primer followed by 1 - 2 coats of your finish paint (latex enamel?). The primer can be applied over the remaining paint - if that's what it is.....I would use seperate brushes and rollers for the two paints i.e., don't use the brush you prime with to apply your finish coat. Dittos for the roller. Follow the instructions on the can for drying times.

Old 09-25-02, 03:33 PM
egiblock
Visiting Guest
im pretty sure it's paint.... its pretty interesting that it would just peel off the wall like a sticker. there are some parts of it that are harder to get off the wall, so i am using a piece of 150grit sandpaper and just smoothing out that section...

thanks for the information..

ttyl

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: