Drywall beading

Old 09-30-02, 11:44 AM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Drywall beading

Woooo hooooooo...... Finally finished hanging drywall and passed inspection. Inspector gave me the go ahead to tape and mud. So on to taping and mudding.

So I am installing the bullnose bead and corner beads. Seems pretty simple and straightforward. Like the neat little plastic caps for the bullnose beads. Even put in a metal j channel on the piece of drywall that hangs down to conceal the closet door track.

Is there any advantage to metal backed beads? The bullnose bead makes sense. The outside corners make sense. But does this make sense for all of the inside corners?

The guy at HD told me to use the 3M spray glue to attach the bead to corners. Is this really the best way to go about this? Seems kinda expensive at about $5.50/can and one can per 10 strips of bead.

In a drywall book that I am reading the author references "Fire Tape" for areas that must be fireproofed by code. Is it necessary to use this specific type of tape? HD doesn't carry it and Lowes never heard of it (I really miss Eagle ).

Bryan

Old 10-01-02, 06:11 AM
Warp50
Visiting Guest
You said: But does this make sense for all of the inside corners?

Just use paper tape for the inside corners, it's less expensive and will hold up just as well.

You said: The guy at HD told me to use the 3M spray glue to attach the bead to corners.

If you are using plastic corner bead, you probably need the spray, I have not used it, normally use paper faced metal backed bead with mud on outside corners.

You said: In a drywall book that I am reading the author references "Fire Tape" for areas that must be fireproofed by code. Is it necessary to use this specific type of tape?

I've never heard of "Fire Tape", I like good old paper tape on all flat seams and inside corners.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 10-01-02, 11:38 AM
B
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In this area, "fire tape" doesn't refer to a material, rather it refers to the minimum amount of taping necessary to meet fire codes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but "fire taping" a wall/ceiling just refers to putting on the first coat only of paper tape, corner beads and mud so that a fire cannot travel thru the drywall joints.

Bruce

Old 10-10-02, 01:03 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Just get yourself a staple gun and shoot the bead on that way Much cheaper and easier.

You dont need to worry about fire tapping your house?

But since it's your house and You will be living there I suggest that you Tape & Coat ALL Opening's........

Like under the sink, hot water heater areas Everyplace where there is a hole. and it wouldnt hurt to sprinkle a little bit of Boric acid around before you put up the walls.

They reason for the extra taping & Boric Acid is in the event of those little pests that run around in between your walls.

If all the hole are taped then where can they Go. and if by chance they "Ant's, roaches, silverfish etc..." get in between the walls the Boric Acid will kill em Dead

Said By: 15 yr Professional Drywall Finisher
the wife is the Pest Control Lady "BugLady"

Old 10-11-02, 10:52 AM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Thanks Hollywood. I am well underway with my taping and mudding follies. Wife and kids think it is hilarious. Especially when I work on ceiling areas.

Once again I must tip my hat to the people who do this everyday. To do it right certainly is an art form.

Through expensive trial-and-error I have finally found a rhythm.
Mud the screws,
Tape the recessed joints.
Tape the butted joints.
Bead the inside corners
Bead the outside corners

This seems to work well for me.

I found that 3M drywall bead glue to be junk. Joint compound provides a better bond between the drywall and the paper backed metal bead.

The fire taping idea came from a book on professional drywall techniques. The book says that there is a special type of tape called fire tape. However, I cannot find this type of tape anywhere. So I used paper tape and metal backed bead.

I figure about four more weekends and I will be done.

Bryan

Old 10-12-02, 10:08 AM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
you didn't mention that you were using paper Bead

Mudding it is the only way! lol

Also when using that expensive 3M Glue keep in mind that you must use it like contact cement

Spray the area where the bead is to go.

Then spray the bead it also " The part that rest's on the wall" hehe

wait a minute and apply

Fire taping is generally just taping all exposed areas with regular tape.

No special tape needed AT ALL

Last edited by Hollywood; 10-12-02 at 10:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: