open up the ceiling

Old 09-30-02, 03:47 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
open up the ceiling

just bought a house and want to change standard ceiling to an open concept appeal . what can i look forward to.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 08:41 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Rough carpentry that was not meant to be exposed and gazed upon would be my first guess. Do you have attic access to take a poke around?

Old 10-01-02, 05:25 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
ceiling

hello jeff; i'm not really concerned about whats hidden, i'm really interested in changing the whole look of the ceiling, i think i might have to run new rafters unfortunately, then theres insulating the cathedral ceiling. by the way this is the upper part of the new addition that was put on about 30 years ago. thanks for your reply

Old 10-01-02, 05:27 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
ceiling

p.s. there is no access to the ceiling, but i'm sure i could make one

Old 10-02-02, 10:13 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Well then you looking at a complete roof replacement, including framing and new insulation, relocated wiring, and possibly relocating a plumbing vent stack or two. The costs vary greatly from region to region, particularly with localized hot real estate markets for contractor ball park estimates. This is more of an advanced DIY project.

Old 10-03-02, 03:00 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
ceiling

hello jeff , your probably right ,however the roof was replaced a year ago,so its good for awhile yet,i think i'll try the basement project first ,then work up.

Old 10-10-02, 09:27 AM
rawb, wise decision. . If the addition was put in only 30 years ago, it's a pretty sure bet that it was framed with trusses. They don't lend well to cathedral ceilings, unfortunately .