digging out the basement

Old 09-30-02, 03:53 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
digging out the basement

an addition was put on my house with a basement. i'd like to dig out the rest of the crawlspace under the original part of the house and open it all up . the question is--do i start in the middle or should i start on the outer areas and pour a deeper foudation to tie in with the old foundation

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 08:44 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
What kind of foundation do you have? Soil conditions? Water table? Underpinning a house foundation is not a typical DIY job. It can be done, but there are a lot of factors that go into determining the feasibility and actual procedures. Have you considered hiring a foundation specialty contractor or an engineer?

Old 10-01-02, 05:13 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
basement

thanks for your input and reply, the basement or crawl space is about 4 feet deep , its dirt, musty, the furnace sits down there as well as the hot water heater and the water softener. there was an addition put on the back of the house, about 20 by 16 which has a proper cemented basement, therefore the foundation is solid at the back. its about 8 feet in height, the door for the crawlspace is up about 3 feet from that ground level for access. i'm not afraid of a little manual labour, i think the most part of the job is going to be digging however i want to start digging in the right area first as not to let the lower walls cave in . this kind of a job would probebly take me a good 6 to 8 months to do. i guess if i start at the addition side of the crawlspace i should be o.k. the plumbing and heating i will deal with when the time arrives.

Old 10-02-02, 06:49 PM
Hello, I did that very same thing on this house about 7 years ago. YEs it is very hard work , but it can save you alot of money..... What I did, with some advice from a local contractor, was to dig down at strategic locations- corners, at the center of walls, and put jack posts underneath the sills to support the weight of the house so I could dig the remaining dirt out from under the house. You would need to dig down to a level where your projected floor would be or lower to set the posts bottoms at. Once the cellar is dug out, then you can set your footings and walls up with the posts right in place, really no need to take them out anyway..... One thing that helped me was the rental of a terramite backhoe. It was small enough to drive right under the house and do alot of the digging for me....If you feel apprehensive you could do a wall at a time, that way you would have less of a chance of your house moving and you will need fewer forms.... Of course, you do have to take alot of things into consideration like Jeff said, but with determination it can be done..... Please post back if need more help.

Old 10-02-02, 10:20 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
My brother-in-law did this in his house in Bermuda that he sold last year. The work was done by hand, carrying out dirt in 5-gallon buckets. The soil and walls were stable, so he was able to excavate a 3-foot wide drift down to the level required to build back up subgrade material, slab, and finished flooring. Concrete was placed in this 3-foot drift while the foundation wall spanned the gap. After the initial concrete was set, a stiff grout was packed in between the concrete and existing wall. This was repeated in a skip sequence around the basement. Needless to say, I found reasons to politely turn down offers to stay in Bermuda while this work was going on.