Bulging Wall

Old 10-01-02, 01:24 PM
AdamK
Visiting Guest
Question Bulging Wall

I have a wall in my house where two of the studs are "bulging" inward. Apparently this is common when studs were left exposed to rain when the house was built. In order to correct the problem, I was told to notch the studs, straighten them and sister two studs to each side. Is this right? Is this a diy project (it's a load bearing wall). Thanks Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-02, 10:08 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Yes, that is a valid repair. How large is the bow? If it is small you can also plane the studs down.

Old 10-04-02, 07:58 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
no doubt you can do that but it seems like more work and expense than you need to do. i would just cut out the 2 bowed studs and replace them .

Old 10-10-02, 09:22 AM
With a load-bearing wall if you start just cutting them out, then you're having to deal with "false walls," or jacks, etc., in order to support the roof while you're messing with it. *That* is a lot more work IMHO. Unless you put the new studs in and *then* cut the old studs out. Hope you've got a good recip saw, as this does *not* sound like fun.

Actually, if you've got a good sharp plane, and it's not much of a bow planing probably would be the easiest route to go. Unfortunately, if the wall is actually bulging out that much to be really noticeable I suspect that it's too much of a bow to deal with in the manner. You're going to wind up patching the drywall of course, any way you look at it.

Old 10-10-02, 12:35 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Listen open up the area that need's the repair, Cut your stud's to fit "Tight" install them then cut out the bowed stud's Hang the drywall and finish it and be done with it.

You know cutting out two studs on a load bearing wall is not going to harm anything PERIOD.
Especially if you install the new stud's first.