Large gap between wall and ceiling

Old 10-07-02, 08:18 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large gap between wall and ceiling

I hope someone can help me with this one. In removing buckled drywall tape at the place where the ceiling and wall meet, I have discovered part of the reason for the buckle is that there is a large gap. The wall is angled at the ceiling as this is a cathedral ceiling and the drywall people didn't cut the sheetrock for the wall properly. The gap runs about 6 feet long and is 1/2" wide diminishing to nothing.

I am going to retape with mesh tape, but my question is what do I stuff the gap with? Do I use drywall mud (pre mixed in a 5 gallon can) or can I use lightweight setting type joint compound that is a powder and dries in 20 minutes?

I also have a similar problem where two walls meet at an inside corner. The sheetrock was cut too short from floor to ceiling and there is a 1/4" gap there.

Thanks so much,
Newt

Old 10-10-02, 10:10 AM
In my opinion that's what crown molding is for . I'm sure somebody will have an answer for you, I can only tell you what I saw on a DIY tape. What they did were to fill the gaps first with joint compound. Unfortunately they didn't specify drying type or setting type. I s'pose it depends on how long you want to wait for it to dry. Apparently it's not all that uncommon to have these gaps at the ceiling, up to 3/8" (or 1/2" in your case). I have also heard that you do *not* want to use mesh tape in corner applications as it supposedly is not as strong as the paper (sounds weird to me, I'm just repeating what I heard) and it's quite easy to accidentally cut the mesh when you're mudding the joint.

All this being said, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a "mudder." That's why all my rooms (finished and proposed) have crown molding .

Old 10-10-02, 01:54 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
that is a common problem with Lack of Quality Sheetrocker's

To fix cut out the area with a utility Knife and apply a thin coat of mud to the wall then place tape on top of the mud and slide the tape to the ceiling "Do Not Crease The Tape" and wipe down the tape.

Then apply another coat of mud to the tape

Then Crease"Make a corner" with the tape and apply it over the FLAT Tapped area and wipe

Depending on whether you have popcorn ceilings or not

After all is dry the apply a thin coat of mud over the tape let Dry & Sand

I don't recommend you use MESH tape and "HOT" Mud. it would be to many steps for you .

But if you do heres how to do it.

Apply mesh tape to the wall on the Flat, do not crease.

then mix you a little Hot mud, in your case I'd recommend 90 minute mud
"remember Water first then the Powder"
apply the mud to the tape let dry.
then apply another coat to the ceiling and wall angle

Then Apply Paper Tape "Creased into a Corner"
wipe out then apply a thin coat over the tape and let dry "Sand"

Commerical Drywall Finishing Supervisior 15yr exp

Old 10-10-02, 08:17 PM
N
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

DiyLady,

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to use crown molding, but it wouldn't look right with this contemporary house and the slanted cathedral ceilings. Besides, then I'd have to learn to cut those angles and cope the molding!

Hollywood,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I do have a couple of more questions though.

I'm comfortable working with the mesh tape and have also worked with the 20 minute mud. On the second recommendation, I'm not sure I quite understand. I put the mesh tape over the gap on the flat wall and don't fill the gap with mud but cover the tape with the mud, leaving it flat? Then I add the folded paper tape into the crease? Do I understand that I don't fill the gap with mud at all?

I don't have popcorn ceilings, thank goodness.

Again, thank you so very much. My project awaits your answer.

Newt

Old 10-11-02, 07:39 AM
Newt, just happy that Hollywood had a good answer for you.

Actually you'd be surprised, using the narrower crown molding without enhancements (i.e. built up) rather than what we usually think of as "crown molding" can look quite clean and contemporary, but then of course it wouldn't match the rest of the house. Aye, there's the rub. Never mind the problem of learning to cope as you pointed out. (Been there done that. I use fancy corners on my crown molding Someday I'll try coping crown again, when I'm not pressed for time. )

Good luck on your project!

Old 10-12-02, 09:58 AM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Sorry if I confused ya.

Mesh tape is kinda sticky so when you apply the mesh tape just put the tape on the wall "Stick it to the Wall" by itself. FLAT on the wall butted up to the ceiling.

Then take your 20min mud and go over that.
make sure that you place mud on the ceiling portion as well so that you can properly adhear the Paper tape.

this can be done all at once then apply the paper tape over that.

And wipe out.

BY doing this the mud will catch in the mesh tape eliminating the Gap and the paper tape is what will make your corner "TIGHT"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: