gluing drywall ... ?

Old 10-10-02, 08:45 AM
gluing drywall ... ?

Difficult to know where to put this, but logically drywall people should be in the wall forum, yes?

Is there any reason why I can't just use heavy duty liquid nails and the occasional Tapcon to attach 1/2" drywall to my brick woodburning fireplace? I was going to attach backerboard with screws to the surround and face that with tile or marble (I'm not much of a "mudder" ) and I don't want the drywall poking out farther than the marble as it would be if I furred. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-02, 01:06 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
I would use Durrock rather than Drywall and screw it to the fireplace.
I wouldn't use liquid Nails just because of the Heat Ratio from the fireplace.
also depending on your design you would not have to Mud anything.

Old 10-10-02, 04:24 PM
If I paint durock, it's going to look like ... painted durock. Between the marble and the mantel surround the actual drywall will be at least 18" to 2' away from the actual fireplace opening. The brick remains cool or barely warm to the touch. Still inadvisable?

Old 10-10-02, 05:06 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry I misunderstood your problem
I thought that you wanted to to glue and tapcon drywall to your fireplace then Tile over the drywall

As far as using liquid nail's on the back of the rock you should be fine,Just make sure that when you glue it you use a good amount of liquid nails stick it to the firePlace then pull it back to see if you have a good coverage.

Last edited by Hollywood; 10-10-02 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 05:41 PM
Yup. The Durock (or Hardibacker, whichever I find) *will* be screwed directly to the fireplace brick for a distance of at least 12", up to two feet (whatever looks best and keeps the flammables furthest away from the opening). Then around *that* will be the wood mantel/fireplace surround and then out from *that* will be the drywall covering up the rest of this bloody awful floor to ceiling 1950's red brick with dead white mortar. The surround will be something of a transition point, so I guess it's not crucial that the surface of the drywall be at the same level as the marble, but I'd like to get them close. It just seemed that 1/4" backerboard with marble and thinset on the one hand, and 5/8" firecode on the other would be close if not exact. *If* I find I can fasten the drywall directly to the brick.