repair pealing textured ceiling

Old 10-10-02, 10:53 AM
kitscott84
Visiting Guest
repair pealing textured ceiling

my textured ceiling is cracked and pealing in the living room. I patched the ceiling several years ago with textured paint but it never matched up right. Now more of the texture paint is cracked and pealing. It looks horrable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without tearing down the ceiling?
Help and thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-02, 11:16 AM
Do you have a popcorn or cottage-cheese ceiling?

Depending on how old your house is, the popcorn stuff may contain asbestos, you should have it checked before you start. I think the cutoff year is like 1980. OK after 1980, have it checked before 1980.

Homax makes a neat gadget called the Ceiling Texture Scraper.

"The easy way to remove unwanted or damaged acoustic "popcorn" or "cottage cheese" ceiling textures without a mess! Ideal for contractors and do-it-yourselfers.
Just connect extension handle and trash bag
Texture falls into the bag - not on floors and furniture
Scraper removes texture quickly without gouging ceiling."

You can then re-do your ceiling, and they offer those products too.

I got my scraper at Lowes for about $8.

Old 10-10-02, 12:29 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately you can't upload pictures at this site.
I'd ask you to post a picture of your problem area " But"

If you have popcorn ceilings and the patch isn't that big I would tell you to scrape the area and repair any peeling tape by cutting out the bad and retaping Home depot sells Popcorn texture in small amounts "Pre mixed" all you do is apply.

If it's a small room and the ceiling does not merge with another room I would say Get rid of the popcorn By scraping and then apply a skim coat of mud to the ceiling to Glaze and paint it.

I dont like popcorn at all. If you look by your AC Vent's and By Ceiling fan's popcorn Always is Dirty from dust.

popcorn ceiling's Should be Sealed to prevent Dust