Repairing plaster walls

Old 10-12-02, 08:31 AM
Brett Ruxer
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Repairing plaster walls

I just moved into a older house and the walls are all plaster over lat boards. The walls are in OK shape but there is some movement and cracking. I saw a home show that used drywall compound mixed with paint to spread all over the durface of the walls. I need to know how this technique it done. Can I just add paint to a 5 gallon bucket of mud and spread it on. The show used a clear coat spray application after the drywall compound was dry.
The other optin would be to replaster , but I dont know anything about that.
Old 10-12-02, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
First what I would do is to take care of those Crack's by tapping on them with a hammer "lightly" to turn the crack into a dimple or recess.

Then get some 90min"HOT" mud the powered kind and fill the crack's.

Then you could use regular joint compound and apply thin layer's of it to the wall's "HardCoating" or 'Glazing" using a 10" knife working from the baseboard up. It's not the easiest for a beginner but you can do it. Sand in between applications make sure you have a bright light handy so that when your sanding you can mark the walls with a PENCIL to show you where you need to touch up, when you spread the mud, it will be normal to see alot of Air Bubbles just make sure that after sanding you touch em up.
You walls will then be smooth. Just take your time and be Prepared for alot of sanding.hehe

I couldn't tell you about mixing paint W/joint compoud I have never tried doing so. They probally do that to have more vinyl solids in the compound.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: