Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior Sheathing/Siding/Insulation Help

10-14-02, 10:27 AM   #1  
Exterior Sheathing/Siding/Insulation Help

Hello all,

Just got a new house that had the garage converted into living area but it is in need of some attention. First off it faces west with no shade and the Texas sun gets pretty brutal over there in afternoon. The windows have experienced melt down and are not in the best of shape. The plan is to replace the windows and pull off the siding which deteriorating a bit and go back all new. I plan on using HardiePanel siding panels going back but what should I put behind it?

OSB?
OSB/Housewrap?
Foamboard?
Foamboard with foil backing?
Tar paper?
Combinations of above?

None of these materials present any significant costs for the 16 x 8 area that I'm doing but I want to do it right and use the best products I can. The $$$ in this project will be the windows which I'm not skimping on so I don't plan to skimp on the siding material either. Any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Darren

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 06:42 PM   #2  
Hollywood
First of all when you remove your old siding.

and check existing walls you may not have to do anything but

Retar paper the walls.

mark your studs then use a 4' level and plumb the stud lines.

Hardi board is an "Excellent Choice" I have installed it for a few years here on many Custom Homes

are you using the full panels 4x8's or the 8" 1/4 panels

Air compressor
roofing gun

"TIP" get a plastic Speed Square and cut the tip of it off to use as a guide so that all reveals will be the same

keep siding 7" to the weather

when you cut the square don't measure from the very bottom of the straight edge " Measure from the top lip

10-15-02, 02:43 PM   #3  
I plan on using the 4x8s to keep the same look around the house. You mention that I may have to re tarpaper the walls. I will not be surprised to find nothing behind the exterior sheathing but studs and the insulation batts. Should I put OSB back or foam board or something else also?

Thanks,

Darren

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 03:02 PM   #4  
Hollywood
WOW
if thats the case I would use OSB.

10-15-02, 06:16 PM   #5  
OSB & tar paper? Should I use foamboard also or just apply the hardie to the OSB & tar paper?

Thanks for your help,

Darren

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 07:02 PM   #6  
Hollywood
just apply the hardie. Don't use Foam or anything else

http://www.jameshardie.com/hardiplankinstallation.htm

Search this Thread