Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

worn plaster=rip out vs. cover up

Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 04:46 PM   #1  
Mr. Bulb
worn plaster=rip out vs. cover up

my 1918 house has one room that has plaster walls in not-so-great condition. the plaster and paint is crumbly in spots, and has star-shaped shallow cracks of about a 4" radius. when i press my fingers on these areas, they seems to give a little and feel a little crumbly. could a moisture problem be the culprit? i have heard two different repair options: cover with 1/8" rock, tape and mud; or rip out the plaster + lath and replace with 1/2" rock, tape + mud. Any thoughts on what to do?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 08:56 PM   #2  
bungalow jeff
You would be better off in teh long run to remove the plaster and determine if there are any moisture issues behind the wall that need attention. Covering with drywall will just hide the prblem and allow mold to cultivate. Try to be optimistic. Think about how much easier rewiring, cable and phone wiring, plumbing, and insulation upgrades are with the wall open.

Visiting Guest

10-18-02, 08:15 AM   #3  
Hollywood
Originally posted by bungalow jeff
You would be better off in teh long run to remove the plaster and determine if there are any moisture issues behind the wall that need attention. Covering with drywall will just hide the prblem and allow mold to cultivate. Try to be optimistic. Think about how much easier rewiring, cable and phone wiring, plumbing, and insulation upgrades are with the wall open.

I agree you should open up and find out what the problem is or was.

Search this Thread