Drywall Sinking?

Old 10-24-02, 11:35 AM
connellyc
Visiting Guest
Drywall Sinking?

I live in a 2 bedroom condo on top level of 3 level garden-style appartment building. Have noticed that drywall tape has come loose from ceiling on almost all common walls (interior walls that are shared with a neighboring condo. No exterior walls are affected. This is occuring in living room, kitchen, pantry, hall closet, bathroom, bedroom wall-in closet. I have also noticed that the bedroom walk-in closet door will not close - it hits the top of the door frame. I can't tell if the walls have sunk, or if it is just that the tape has come loose. What could cause something like this - and what would keep it from happening again. I sure would appreciate any help with this.

Old 10-24-02, 04:50 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
The Cause is probably inexperienced drywall finisher's that did the original work.

The only way to prevent it is to make sure that the people who apply the drywall tape use plenty of joint compound on the joint "behind the Tape"

Enough to cover the entire recess and Seams then tape and wipe out.
Then apply next coats

when taping a drywall joint the rule the best advise I can give is use a 5" or 6" knife and apply the mud so that no portion of the recess is missed when smearing the joint compound

because if theres a void then There will be "Blisters & loose tape"

the only other reason's for tape to be peeling off the walls would be Excessive Moisture "Leaks"

or the drywall finishers Did the job in the middle of the winter with no heaters running therefore the mud froze to the walls and the tape never bonded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: