Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

I need to close in an interior doorway.

Old 10-25-02, 01:06 PM
HollyHomemaker
Visiting Guest

Our old house is built such that our kitchen has a doorway into a bedroom. This bedroom has another entrance from the hallway. We want to close in this doorway. In general, what do we do? Remove molding, install a beam, insert insulation, add sheetrock and paint? That's it? Also, the bedroom side has real pine paneling. Will we be able to match it? THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 06:32 PM
Hollywood
Visiting Guest
Yeap, That's all you need to do. Rather simple

Old 10-25-02, 11:04 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You don't need to add a beam. Remove the door trim, jamb, etc. Nail a section of 2x4 to the subfloor in the door opening and toe nail studs at 16" on center to the 2x4 on the floor and the existing door header at the top. Install sheetrock and paint. The hard work will be matching the pine panelling and any floor/ceiling molding across the wall on both sides.

Old 10-31-02, 06:49 AM
HollyHomemaker
Visiting Guest
Thanks Hollywood and Bungalow. You're right. That was the hard part. The pine doesn't match, but we're hoping to "spackle" and paint it and see if that helps. Thanks again!

Old 11-02-02, 09:34 AM
TheUglyMug
Visiting Guest
Matching pine

I recently checked out Great Wood Finishes By Jeff Jewitt from the library. He had some detailed descriptions and photos on distressing, antiquing, and little things you can do to make wood appear older than it really is. For example, paintind dark stain around the nail heads to give rusting appearance, creating worm holes, and filing edges. Have fun!