Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laundry chute

10-26-02, 06:52 AM   #1  
Laundry chute

OK, I hope I have the correct forum. If not, please moderate me to the proper one.

I am going to redo an upstairs bedroom into a baby room. There exists a laundry chute. (Which I love to have). I am going to rebuild the top portion (that which extends above the floor to the fliptop lid). My concerns are if a fire starts in the basement, will the chute act as a channel to guide it directly to the baby room? I understand fire needs oxygen to remain lit, and if I make the fiptop lid "sealed", then no air should be drawn down the chute to the fire source allowing it to "wick" up the chute. Is this the case? Also, could I add a liner (inside the chute) of a thin fire retardant material to slow fire propagation?

Thanks all: Soon to be concerned father.

Sponsored Links

SC

10-27-02, 04:59 AM   #2  
It seems to me that if fire is a concern, it would be more beneficial to have a smoke detector installed in the basement and slave it to the others in the living quarters. This way, you will be alerted when the detector sounds. In the event of a fire in a dwelling, escaping the fire is the primary objective. But to answer your question, installing the door so that it seats and seals at least as well as a room door will prevent rapid fire spread through the laundry chute.

10-27-02, 05:45 AM   #3  
chfite: My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the reply. I already have all the smoke detectors throughout the house and they are all slaved. Man is it loud when I mess up a pan blackened catfish meal! I will make the chute sealed for added protection. Peace: e3

Search this Thread