covering with drywall

Old 10-27-02, 02:51 AM
Jorge Castro
Visiting Guest
covering with drywall

hi,

I am remodeling an old house (1933) and some of the walls are in very bad shape after installing the new electric system. I've been advised to cover the walls with a thin drywall (1/4") rather than trying to patch them.

How is this done? What type of screws should be used? These are all exterior walls, should I screw the new drywall to the furring below or just to the existing plaster?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 01:35 PM
Drywall Application

Step by step instructions can be found on this website at http://doityourself.com/wall/drywall.htm

Old 11-03-02, 02:37 AM
Zyloth
Visiting Guest
I was in the same situation your are in. If you have a excellent drywall guy, just patch, coat and texture. Adding 1/4 drywall just causes problems around windows and doors. We patched over 40 holes, two filled in doorways and putty coated plaster acoustic ceilings. Once done everything looked brand new.

Good Luck!!!

Old 11-04-02, 09:06 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Jorge- I agree with the last post. I had an electrician turn my plaster walls into Swiss cheese after he ran cables throughout my kitchen. I originally thought that I should just cover the whole thing in another layer of sheetrock. However, I found a drywall guy who had worked on remodels and he repaired the wall using hot mud, mesh tape and occasionally a piece of 1/2 inch drywall where the hole was larger than a few inches in size. He ran a few coats of hot mud, which sets up in about 20 minutes, then wet sanded and sponged the surface down. He did the whole kitchen area in about 2 hours, and I just primed and painted it, and it looks terrific.

Try this approach before your original approach. Bringing the wall out 1/4 inch will be a pain, as the last post pointed out. Good luck.

Old 11-05-02, 06:25 AM
Jorge Castro
Visiting Guest
thank you

Thank you both.

I finally went that way and hire a drywall sub that covered the holes with plaster. He tried his best to match the existing "texture" and I think that the result is acceptable. I'm glad that I didn't decide to cover everything with sheetrock. :-)

regards

Jorge