mildew on bathroom walls

Old 10-27-02, 07:22 AM
rdaily
Visiting Guest
mildew on bathroom walls

Just recently mildew has appeared on the bathroom wall of my master bathroom. The bathroom is in two sections. The shower and toilet are seperated from the room with the vanity and mirror. The part of the bathroom with the mildew is the room with the shower and toilet. The only place where the midew is present is on the sheetrock around the window to the outside and the doorway leading into the section of the bathroom with the vanity.
I have lived here for five years and this is the first time mildew has shown up on the walls.
I live in the midwest so humidity in the winter months is not much of an issue.
What is causing this and how can it be corrected?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 01:32 PM
Mildew in bathroom

Mildew spores are everywhere in the air. Once they find an area that tends to be damp, dark, soiled, and unventilated, they settle in. Bathroom humidity tends to settle on surfaces and makes the area attractive to mold and mildew. Keeping surfaces clean and dry and the area well ventilated tends to keep mold/mildew at bay. Because exterior walls tend to be cooler, the warm, moist air can condense on walls creating even more moisture.

Running bathroom fan for at least 30 minutes after bathing will help eliminate humidity from the air. Disinfecting affected surfaces with bleach/water solution will kill the mold/mildew. Affected surfaces may have to be sealed and repainted.