Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MDF Molding Pros/Cons

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 03:04 PM   #1  
rvitek
MDF Molding Pros/Cons

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, and since MDF is under 4 character, I can't search for this topic.

I recently laid down some hardwood floors and in the process, destroyed all of my 'builders special' $0.10 baseboards. So, in keeping with our white trim theme, I only need to go with pine. So when I was shopping, I came upon some MDF. What do you all think of it?

I tested it out, it took my nail dents the same as with the pine (yes, I bought a piece of each and took them home!) and it paints the same as pine. The catch? It's 1/4th the cost!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

SC

10-27-02, 03:53 PM   #2  
Seems like a winner to me. If it is painted and you are happy with the performance when abused. It is not at all resistant to water, so it must be in a dry location.

MD

10-29-02, 02:23 PM   #3  
The only thing that I have noticed is that there is a lot more bounce when you are nailing it if it isn't real tight to the surface. I've only had to hand nail it one. After that I have used a air finish nailer nad it doesn't even blink. Might be wothwhile to go to the local rental center and rent one with a compressor. It saves a lot of time since it countersinks the nails for you.

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 02:41 AM   #4  
Zyloth
I installed MDF Base in my house and once it is up and painted, you cannot tell the difference. But as chfite stated, it does not handle water at all.

Search this Thread