Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting tile or an alternitive PLEASE

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 07:12 AM   #1  
bryuer

My wife and I are redoing the bathroom. Built in the 40's it has a mud wall and ceramic tiles. My idea is to seal the tiles with a glossy surface primer, then using glossy spray paint (as used on cars) to paint the tiles. Anyone out there have experience doing this? Anyone have a better way without having to put in new walls. I'm affraid that if I try to take off the tiles the whole wall will have to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 09:43 AM   #2  
TheUglyMug
Tile Floor

You can install wood laminate products right over the top of tile. All you need to do is remove the base board, install the laminate (usually tongue and groove snap together or glue together) and put your base board back on. The floor "floats" over the tile and is held down by the baseboard. Another alternative is concrete staining or stamping. A thin layer of concrete is applied to the floor and stamped to look like brick or stone. It is available in many styles and colors and very cool looking. The staining or acid staining looks like marble! Check out concrete acid staining on the net. I wouldn't paint tile myself, but I have heard of special paints you can get from art stores that paint over tile, I just don't know how durable they would be on a floor.

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 02:45 PM   #3  
bryuer

Thanks for the advice Uglymug, but the problem is not the floor. It's the walls. I'm looking for an alternitive to taking down the wall where the tile is about chest high. The whole wall will probably have to come down, because it's mud on a steel mesh base. This is the type of construction they did in the 40's.

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 03:28 PM   #4  
TheUglyMug
You can do walls too!

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 04:06 PM   #5  
jlbos83
You might be able to tile over the tiles without taking anything down. Check out :
John Bridge Forums

Visiting Guest

11-07-02, 05:01 PM   #6  
Hoale
painting tile

You can paint ceramic tile. I have done this many times.You will need to rent an H.V.L.P sprayer for a couple of days.You will also need a professional respirator and a box fan also buy one of those disposable spray suits and spray sock.
1. Sand all tile with 100 grit sand paper. Wipe down tile with a tack rag.
2.Before spraying any thing be sure there are no pilot lights any where they must be turned off or this could be the last thing you ever painted in that house. Spray the tile with primer. Use Zinsser Cover Stain it's an oil-base primerit dries in 1 hour and it sticks to everything especially skin so wear gloves. You can buy this primer at Home Depot. Make sure you wear the respirator also. Use the box fan after spraying to help clear the fumes.
3. Buy a two part oil-base epoxy from a paint store this is not something you will find at Home Deopt Amepox is the product I Use it's about $50.00 a gallon follow the directions on the can for mixing or ask the paint salesman. It is best to shoot 2 thin coats. 1 coat per day. This stuff has a lot of fumes NO SMOKING it could blow up.Use the fan to clear the air.It will look like brand new tile when you are done with a cost of about $100.00.
Have fun,
Hoale

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 07:00 PM   #7  
bryuer

Uh, should I take out a rider on my life insurance, too? My entire house is gas, and both my wife and I smoke. It's also about 20 degrees here.

I thank you though for the suggestion.

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 07:04 PM   #8  
bryuer

Well, I think the wife and I have come up with a pretty good solution. Uglymug was the inspiration. Since the tile comes up about 4 feet from the floor, to a thickness of about 1/2 inch, I'm going to build out the upper portion of the wall, then cover from floor to ceiling with bead board. A little moulding and bath fitters for the tub and shower area, should do the trick.

Search this Thread