Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing a wall

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 09:09 PM   #1  
PattiB
Removing a wall

I am buying a house.Since I am the only one living there,I would like to make a larger master bed room by removing the walls that divide it from another bedroom.Both of these rooms are at the back of the house.There is a linen closet between these two walls.Without a picture can you give me an idea of how to do this?Also,how do I determine if these are load bearing walls?Thanks for your time,Patti...

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-03-02, 06:16 AM   #2  
Load bearing walls generally (but not always) run perpendicular to the structural members they are supporting. Go up in your attic and look to see which direction the attic floor joists (or roof trusses) run. If the wall runs cross-wise, likley load bearing. A load-bearing wall can be removed, but it would involve installing a load-carrying beam to cover the area needing support; not really a d-i-y job. You may want to consult with a professional for positive identification. If it's NOT load bearing, sledgehammer, prybar, sawzall, or any other handy demo tools will do the job. Ensure you have killed any electrical components and be careful of any circuits that may be hidden.

Search this Thread