can my cieling problem be fixed?

Old 11-05-02, 09:01 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can my cieling problem be fixed?

My wife and i just purchased our first home. The house was built in 63. On the master bedroom ceiling I can clearly see the seams between sheetrock sections as well as the elephant tracks left over from the hammering of the nails. It is clear the the person building the house did not tape, or mud/ sand the seams. I know the stuctural integrity is fine but it is an eyesore. There is also some shifting in the cieling from an ice damn that happened about 4 years ago and they did a lousy job of patching it. (I live in Maine, all houses in the area had the same problem with ice damns) We are going to paint the room and the ceiling but how can i get rid of the seams and elephant tracks and fix the patch job before painting the ceiling. The hammer marks are abiout the size of a quarter each and are not very deep. The ceiling is painted right now. Please tell me i dont have to redo the whole ceiling. If that is the case i'll live with it. Is there and way i could sand and spackle or mud or plaster the ceiling than paint. Also how can i fix the patch/icedamn problem? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-05-02, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Sounds like you need to mud the nail dimples and maybe re-tape the seams, and sand it all smooth before painting the whole ceiling.
You can do a Search above on drywall finishing how-to.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-05-02, 05:53 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the response. That is certainly better news than what I was thinking I would get. Can I do the mud and the taping on top of the ceiling paint that is already on it? The mud and tape will take to an already painted surface and then be able to repaint over my patch work? I am very new to this and unfortunately need a lot of things spelled out for me. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: