Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Would someone please explain how to use a T-brace for ceiling....

Old 11-06-02, 09:38 AM
robd
Visiting Guest

Please pardon my ignorance on this one. It seems to be a very simple device. But my simple mind can't figure out the details. So, the long 2x4 should be how much longer than the ceiling height? 2 inches? And what is the cross part made from? Width?

Also, how do I use it to prop up the drywall to the ceiling? Do I need to hold one end while the t-brace holds up the other? Can the t-brace hold up the entire 4x8 sheet?

Please help.....

Thanks, Rob

Old 11-07-02, 09:47 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
helped my dad build my 1st house 25 years ago. he made one and we used it for the entire sheetrock job. i know what it looked like and how we used it. can tell you now though that ever since that job i have gladly paid $20 a day to rent a sheetrock jack.

Old 11-10-02, 06:37 AM
zippylaura
Visiting Guest
Using T Braces

I'm no pro, but I just finished hanging sheetrock in a 1000 square foot basement by myself. I didn't rent a drywall lift (I hear it's great) because I can only work 1-2 hours each day. Instead I used my old 3x5 work table to make my own lift. I attached 2x4 u braces extending over the ends of the table and built 2 t braces about 2 feet shorter than the ceiling height. Then I slid the t braces into the u braces so that the ts could slide up and down vertically. Get the picture?? With the base of the ts on the floor, I was able(by myself) to lift a 4 x 8 sheet up to rest on top of the ts. Then I slid one T up and clamped it with a C clamp. By repeating this sliding and clamping of each T brace the sheetrock can be lifted up and into perfect position. It worked great for me!! Now I'm spackling and sanding. Oh joy. Good luck to you.

Old 11-11-02, 07:33 AM
robd
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the replys everyone. I decided to use a panel lift. I am very glad I did. My project is hanging 5/8" 4X8 sheets up to my 9 foot gargage ceiling. I hung half of it yesterday. It was worth the rental fee.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: