Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chair rails and steel 2X4 stud framing

Visiting Guest

11-07-02, 06:49 PM   #1  
MikeNYC
Chair rails and steel 2X4 stud framing

What would be the proper way to attach chair rails or any other wood items to a wall that is built on steel 2X4 studs? Can these steel studs accept a nail as a wood stud would? HELP ! ! ! My new home in Florida is being built with 24" on center steel framing. Any help will be most appreciated.
<br>
Mike in NYC

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-07-02, 06:56 PM   #2  
MikeNYC
Hmmmmmm

I may have found the answer in another post that asked about attaching baseboard to metal studs. One suggestion was using finishing screws..... I'm open to all other ideas

SC

11-07-02, 09:23 PM   #3  
Construction adhesive.

Visiting Guest

11-11-02, 04:30 PM   #4  
Hollywood
Finishing screws is the best way. Then use one time putty

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 05:17 AM   #5  
NutAndBoltKing
Too Late For Sleepers?

Hiya Mike in NYC,

You said that your new home .... "is being built" .... so if, IF the studs have not been sheetrocked over yet have the contractor put wood "sleepers" between the studs where the chair rails and baseboards will go.

If you look around NYC at new metal stud construction jobs you'll see that carpenters will screw "sleepers" to the studs before they sheetrock over them. They use two kinds of sleepers; metal and wood.

They'll use wide metal strips where the kitchen cabinets and vanities will go, and even screw metal "sleepers" onto studs in bathrooms so the plumbers have something to screw fixtures to after the sheetrocking, taping, and painting is done.

They will use wood "sleepers" screwing them between the metal studs where ever a wood product, chair rail, baseboard, wainscot, etc, etc will be going so that there's solid nailing behind the sheetrock.

It's not always done, but some of the better developers, (like the Glick organization, at Manhattan Place on 1st Ave by 35th St for example ) do this every project.

If, IF it's not too late get some sleepers in your new house.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 05:36 AM   #6  
NutAndBoltKing
Use Plastic Rail

Here's another suggestion, Mike. No doubt everyone likes the feel and look of real WOOD chair rail, but there are alternatives which come in handy when dealing with metal studs. I don't know who makes it, it's imported, the product looks like wood chair rail, but it's made from recycled plastic. It's basically got two parts, small metal clips that easily screw into the drywall using plastic anchors, and then the long faux-wood plastic chair rail snaps on tightly over the clips. They have inside/outside corners available and end caps.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 10:25 AM   #7  
MikeNYC
Thank You

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who have responded (as well as those who respond in the future) for giving me some insight. I will have to do a bit of research into these "sleepers" that's a new one to me!

Thanks again!!
Mike

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 11:43 AM   #8  
NutAndBoltKing
Backing Blocks

I looked at some old blueprints from the Corinthian Towers Building that was built in the eary 90s on 1st Ave in NYC (on the site of the old Eastside Airlines Terminal) and those wood "sleepers" I've mentioned above were technically called "backing blocks" by the architect. If, IF your studs haven't been sheetrocked over yet this is the way to go.

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 01:45 PM   #9  
Hollywood
Backing Blocks is correct They usually use 2x6's notched on either end then screwed to the studs

However you may want to ask them to install Plywood backing for you, but just keep in mind that The cost will increase aswell.

Trim screws are fine

ps
The only reason they use the backing is for heavy objects that will be installed on the walls, where as the wall anchors will not hold the X-Tra weight.

Search this Thread