painted popcorn ceilings

Old 11-11-02, 08:40 PM
kendog64
Visiting Guest
Question painted popcorn ceilings

I've got painted popcorn ceilings, and I don't think the normal method of spraying water and scraping texture off will work because the paint will not allow the water to penetrate. Any suggestions on how this can be removed?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-02, 09:42 PM
Removing popcorn ceiling

Removing "Popcorn" Ceiling Texture:
How To Remove "Popcorn" Ceiling Texture
There are many reasons why people want to remove their acoustic "popcorn" or "cottage cheese" type ceiling textures. Whatever the reason, anyone will tell you that it isn’t an easy job…that was until now. The Ceiling Texture Scraper, from Homax Products provides a fast and easy way to scrape away-unwanted texture.
Before you begin, you must first find out when your ceiling texture was applied. If it was applied before 1979, do not attempt to remove it without having it tested for asbestos content. Asbestos fibers, when inhaled, can cause serious health problems including cancer. Prior to the 1980’s, asbestos was used in thousands of different construction materials and manufactured products, including acoustic ceiling textures. Contact the Environmental Protection Agency for more information or have it tested by a professional testing company.

Supplies

Ceiling Texture Scraper
Extension Handle (a broom handle works great)
Plastic Trash Bags
Drop Cloths
Spray Bottle Filled with Water
STEPS

Because you will be applying water to your ceiling it is important to protect the flooring and surrounding furniture. Be sure to drape 1-2 mil plastic sheets under the area you are going to be removing the texture from.
The first tip is work wet…water helps to soften the material and works to break the adhesive bond, which makes scraping the texture off a lot easier. Use either a pump sprayer or a hand held spray bottle to thoroughly wet your ceiling. Make sure that your sprayer is clean and free from any residue.
[Has your acoustic ceiling texture been painted? If it has, then before you get it wet, you must first scrape it to knock the tops off of the texture to expose the underlying surface material. Once the underlying surface material has been exposed, you can spray it with water.]

Now attach a plastic trash bag to the spring steel blade of the Ceiling Texture Scraper, and an extension handle to the steel handle.
Now all you have to do is start scraping. The acoustic texture falls into the plastic bag, and you are on your way to a new look. It takes approximately 30 minutes to do 10 sq. ft.
If a leaky roof is the reason you are removing or repairing your acoustic ceiling, you will want to make sure you fix the leak and seal the stain (two products we recommend are BIN or Kilz stain sealers) after you’ve removed the texture.
If removing your acoustic ceiling has been on your to-do list for a while, wait no longer, because with the Ceiling Texture Scraper it’s easy

Homax Products Inc. Copyright 1999.
Removing "Popcorn" Ceiling Texture:
How To Remove "Popcorn" Ceiling Texture
How-To Ideas. Retrieved 12 November 2002. http://www.homaxproducts.com/howtoideas/removing.htm

Old 11-12-02, 06:45 AM
Ditto 12pole!

The same thing works on painted ceilings too!

I have done 4 rooms so far using this method.

Old 11-22-02, 02:41 PM
Talking

Thanx much for the info, I was fixing to post how to remove popcorn texture as I have water damaged ceiling & I didn't wan't to pay someone to reinstal the popcorn after I finished making repairs