Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

roof leak new house

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 08:34 PM   #1  
pridenc412
roof leak new house

I am purchasing a new home in So. Ca. This past weekend it rained for three days. The contractor did not have the roof completed and two interior walls are wet near the fireplace. The first floor is slab so water shouldnt be too big of a deal there but the floor above is wafer board. The sheetrock is pretty wet on the walls and also on the ceiling. They are trying to paint over the water stains but is there something else I could do or that I should get them to do. Is sheetrock and/or insulation ok after it has been wet? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Karen

Sponsored Links

SC

11-13-02, 01:52 AM   #2  
Ordinarily, wafer board or insulation dries out fine after being wetted once. Sheetrock will be ok if the wetness was just the paper surface and it dried right away. If the gypsum material got wet and expanded then it is ruined. The damaged sections will need to be cut out and replaced. The water marks show through paint unless sealed with something akin to Kilz or Zinser or other sealant.

Search this Thread