Baseboard moldings

Old 11-18-02, 10:26 AM
akw999
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Baseboard moldings

Help...
I'm trying to install 3" baseboard moldings into my older house with plaster walls and hardwood floors. I've discover how difficult it is when the walls are not flat and the floors not even. Needless to say that the mitred corners don't fit niceley and there are gaps between the molding and the walls/floors. I have resorted to use lots of silicone to fill these gaps. Are there better ways? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-02, 06:09 PM
The base does not sit down on the floor, that is what quarter round is for, to mate with the floor. Quarter round is more flexible and mating it to the uneven floor will not be noticeable.

The base may flex more against the wall to fit. An alternative is to use a base with a molding piece on the top to follow the wall more closely. As with the quarter round, minor flexing in the small top piece will not be so noticeable.

To make the outside corners fit. Cut one side to suit, then cut the other fatter and sneak up on the proper cut in small increments. Houses and walls are rarely square and plumb at this level, and need accommodating.

To make the inside corners fit, cope the insides. A coped inside corner always fits.

Silicone is nasty stuff to put on wood. If you ever hope to paint this, the silicone will reject the paint and you will be stuck with the silicone again. Use a wood putty to try to match the stain or siliconized acrylic latex caulk to use for painting.