Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Popcorn Ceilings in kitchens...Is this a bad idea?

Visiting Guest

11-22-02, 11:10 AM   #1  
sancho
Popcorn Ceilings in kitchens...Is this a bad idea?

A contractor who is about to spray my ceiling said I should not use popcorn texture. Too vulnerable to the kitchen elements. I can understand this, but I don't like any of the choices he gave me for his drywall mud spray textures.
1)Orange Peel
2)Splatter
3)Knock down

What other options ar available?

I need help, his is ready to do this and I am worried I'll end up with something I don't like!

Sponsored Links

11-22-02, 12:48 PM   #2  
Smooth painted with a sand texture.
Smooth with a swirl sand finish.
Smooth.

I prefer just painted ceilings without anything. I requires more work from the taper/drywall finisher, but that's what I think looks best.

11-26-02, 02:18 AM   #3  
I agree with the Smooth finish,however, yes it takes more money to achieve. Just remember this though, more than anything....Popcorn is out !
Many buyers will scrape their popcorn finish ceilings before they move in. Resale says...no popcorn ! Smooth ceilings are typical for a kitchen
anyway. So thats two votes ..smooth !
good luck
ryk

Visiting Guest

11-26-02, 04:59 PM   #4  
Hollywood
I don't like Popcorn Period.
But if you want a different look besides Smooth
go with a KnockDown texture gives that ceiling that Elegant look in my opinion

Visiting Guest

11-30-02, 04:52 AM   #5  
Gary7
Whatever you do, don't use popcorn

How about a crowsfoot texture?

11-30-02, 01:08 PM   #6  
You all mentioned ideas that I can not envision. I hate to piggy back a posting but can someone point in the direction of some "finished" examples (pics) of the textures you mention?

My kitchen is long and I did a very little repair and then 2 coats on a flat surface and it is starting to get some spider cracks in it. Maybe a good mudder can do a texture without too much expense. I can mud, but HATE doing it. Peace: e3 - spamman

P.S. On the original post, I like smooth ceilings the best as well. Looks clean when done right.

Search this Thread