removing textured paint

Old 11-22-02, 03:30 PM
spal
Visiting Guest
Smile removing textured paint

How do I remove textured paint from my drywall. I've tried sanding and scraping. Please help!

Old 11-23-02, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you mean popcorn texture from a ceiling, it is relatively easy, but very messy.
Hang plastic down the walls over a good dropcloth on the floor.
Spray the popcorn texture with water from a Windex-type spray bottle, and scrape it off with a 10"-12" sheetrock blade.
Wet it only enough to be able to scrape it easily. Be especially careful over seams.
Experiment in an area where there is no seam.
Once you've scraped it all off, repair the drywall and seams, lightly sand, prime and paint.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-30-02, 01:21 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spal: Thanks for the question. I never tried the method suggested by OldGuy, but what I recently did was screw home 3/8" blueboard over the wall with the f-ing textured paint (sorry I was angry at the last tenants), and taped/mudded. Put on 2 coats of sheetrock primer and it looks awesome. Might be more work, but no waviness and looks very clean. I like be able to collect ideas from this board and decide which works best for your situation or create a backup plan. Good luck. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 12-02-02, 10:53 AM
TXCYCLIST
Visiting Guest
Icicle type ceilings

My ceilings have the texture that looks like little icicles. It is not the popcorn type. The texture actually hangs down and is pointy and sharp. It also has at least one coat of paint over it. I still want to have some texture to it when finished. How can I remove or minimize the texture? I was thinking of using some type of roller to just break off the bulk of the texture and just leave what remains. Should I think about sanding?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: