Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Questions to ask plasterer

Visiting Guest

12-09-02, 08:08 AM   #1  
ballpeen
Questions to ask plasterer

I am having some of the plaster walls in my home repaired (water damage and holes) and replastered. I'm trying to select a contractor who will do a good job at a fair price. I've gotten two quotes, one for $8,150 and one for $2,500. Why is there such a big difference in price. What kinds of questions should I be asking? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 04:41 AM   #2  
Gary7
I would ask each contractor for a detail of the procedure they each plan to use. If the answer is not obvious after having those conversations, I would ask the guy which is charging you 3 times the price why he is charging $8,150 for the same job the other guy will do for $2500.

At the same time, I would ask for references from both and suggest you not pay for any of the job until it was complete to your satisfaction.

OH

12-15-02, 07:52 AM   #3  
Questions to ask contractor

Ask for copies of certificates for liability insurance in the event damage is done to your home and for workers compensation insurance in the event a worker is injured on your property. Call the agencies to confirm that these certificates are current.

You might also want to type 'plaster repair' in your favorite search engine to learn more about the techniques used. This will give you a greater understanding what is involved so you can ask good questions and have a better understanding of the answers. For instance, if you have the old style plaster, are they going to restore using the techniques of a "plasterer" or are they going to simply cut out and replace affected areas with drywall and then coat. Restoring old style plaster is typically a 3 coat process, finishing with a sponge. Thus, no sanding. In many older homes where there may be lead paint, sanding can be a concern.

Get a written contract and read it carefully. This is important to clarify the agreement regarding exactly what is going to be done, including clean up as well as how the contractor will be paid.

Search this Thread