Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to replace a textured ceiling

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 01:26 PM   #1  
JOEYRM7
How to replace a textured ceiling

I am attempting to replace a textured ceiling. What is the easiest way to do this. Obviously I can rip down the existing sheetrock and replace. Sanding is way too messy. I tried dry scraping but I can't seem to get a level surface. The texture was put on using spackling compound with a textured roller (fairly heavy) which has been painted over twice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

OH

12-13-02, 04:39 PM   #2  
Remove textured ceiling

If you want a smooth ceiling, you are in for a lot of work with scraping and sanding.

Visiting Guest

12-13-02, 07:12 PM   #3  
JOEYRM7
Thanks for the response. Unless I hear otherwise it looks like the old ceiling is coming down and a new one put up in it's place. It has to be easier than sanding.

NC

12-14-02, 04:33 AM   #4  
Have you tried to skim-coat a smooth surface over the texture?
Depending on how rough the texture is, you should be able to do it, and it would be much easier and less expensive.
I would at least try it in a small area to see how it looks.
Good Luck!
Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-14-02, 08:47 AM   #5  
I think if that dosen't work I would install new sheetrock over the old. If you have blown in insulation it is a real mess. Of course the old sheetrock should be somewhat flat.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 01:11 PM   #6  
JOEYRM7
I had to bite the bullet and removed the existing sheetrock and replace with new. The texture was too thick to effectivly level. Thanks for the help guys

Search this Thread