Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Getting old walls flush with top and bottom plate

Old 12-16-02, 07:00 PM
Dan Cotton
Visiting Guest

I am trying to fix two exterior walls on my house that have moved out from the house. They are no longer flush and the top plate sits away from the house. The studs are all attached to both bottom and top plates, but the top plate has leaned away from the house and needs to be pulled in about two inches. Someone help me and tell me how to fix it !

Old 12-16-02, 07:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This seems to be a structural problem worthy of a meeting with an engineer.

Old 12-16-02, 07:32 PM
Dan Cotton
Visiting Guest
It is a old house and has all rough cut 2x4's. I have been told the walls can be pulled in but have heard different ways to do it. They are not long and I am stripping the exterior to all studs in the spring and putting half inch plywood up then vinyl siding it. The studs are two foot on center. I also want to put them on 16 inch centers.

Old 12-17-02, 06:19 AM
Gary7
Visiting Guest
What does the rest of the house look like above the top plate? Single or two level home? How high is the ceiling in the room(s) which have the problem walls? What does the foundation look like under the walls?

Old 12-17-02, 08:42 AM
Dan Cotton
Visiting Guest
It is a single level home. the foundation is fine. The ceilings are eight feet high. I just replaced the roof and would have fixed the walls then had I known I had this problem. The walls are the two that run the length of the house. The gable end walls are fine.

Old 12-17-02, 08:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Those would be the loadbearing walls.

Old 12-18-02, 03:38 AM
Gary7
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the builder forgot to nail the rafters and ceiling joists to the wall...(but I can't imagine forgetting to do that). You need to get up in the attic and take a look. If this is the situation, then it's an easy answer. The difficult part will be 1) moving the walls back, 2) Finding the space to swing a hammer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: