Roof space access thru ceiling

Old 12-22-02, 07:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof space access thru ceiling

I'd like to create an access door thru an interlocking tile ceiling I'm putting into my bathroom. The tiles will be fastened directly to the joists. I was thinking of setting a plywood panel (door) into notches I cut into the joists, so the plywood door would be flush with the bottom of the joists. I could then lay the tiles across the door and cut around the opening, hinge the plywood door and be done with it. I'll just have to work out some sort of latch for the door.

Does this sound do-able to you guys? Thanks in advance...

Brian

Old 12-22-02, 10:14 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Never notch structural framing members.

Old 12-22-02, 11:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay, I can do the same thing without notching the joists. I can set the plywood door into the joists instead. Same idea, different method of getting there. Sound better?

Old 12-23-02, 11:02 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Definitely better. Unless you plan on a light door, hinges and a latch may be a bit unweidly. I added a framed opening to my hallway for attic access. I trimmed the opening to match the door and window molding. A 3/4" plywood panel sits on 1/2" trim pieces connected to the framing around the opening. I weatherstripped the plywood panel seat and glued two pieces of 2" rigid insulation (R20) to the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: