Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pantry expansion

Visiting Guest

12-22-02, 10:14 PM   #1  
Cachibache
Pantry expansion

I am about to expand the pantry area in my kitchen which today is a scant 37"x23" closet.
Behind the 37" back wall is the additional area I'd like to expand into which in fact is the space underneath the staircase (18 yr old two story house).
There is a stud smack in the middle of this 37" wall which I would tear down. I would like to remove this stud for obvious reasons but I don't know if it serves any purpose other than to give the drywall support. It seems to me that the staircase rests on the corner studs and therefore this middle stud is not there for structural support of the staircase.
Am I right? Can I saw it off?
The second question I have is: Do I need a permit to do this pantry expansion? I am not doing any electrical work since there is already a light fixture in the pantry. All I would do is put drywall on the walls and ceiling, finish the floor (plank or linoleum, not sure yet) and add shelving.
Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links

SC

12-25-02, 03:36 AM   #2  
Any stud in a wall is not trivial. I would replace it with jack and king studs and cripple studs overhead in the same manner as installing a window or door in an existing wall.

Search this Thread