drywall

Old 12-29-02, 04:36 PM
claudiaj
Visiting Guest
drywall

We have a small cottage in upper Mich that needs repair. My husband says we cannot use drywall on the ceiling or the walls
as we do not leave the heat on in the winter and it will crack. I cannot locate any infor on drywall indicating temperature restrictions. If this is the case, any suggestions on what we could use other than paneling or wood. Thank you.

Old 12-29-02, 06:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I doubt that drywall will crack due to ambient temperatures. Many garages have sheetrock in them and they are unheated.

Old 12-29-02, 11:14 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I agree, the sheetrock will be fine. What is your husband proposing instead?

Old 12-30-02, 05:36 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your husband MAY be correct. Over the years I have spoken a number of times to the techies at both US Gypsum and National Gypsum. They have told me that they have seen mixed results with this; sometimes there are problems, sometimes not. Based on that I have always warned my clients that they may have cracking at the joints if they use sheetrock in unheated areas.

Bruce

Old 12-30-02, 04:12 PM
claudiaj
Visiting Guest
We have a wood ceiling and to put wood on the walls I think would be too much as it is a very very small area. I was thinking maybe drywall on the walls, then on half of it beaded board-but really haven;'t made a decision. I guess our options are not many-paneling or wood.
Thanks for your answers,
keep them coming.
Claudia

Old 12-30-02, 08:31 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bruce mentioned cracking at the joints, not the sheetrock itself.

Old 01-01-03, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you want to use drywall, you might want to consider a trick used by a 40-year pro painter friend of mine for permanently solving plaster cracks.
Instead of using narrow drywall tape for the seams, use 4"-6" wide strips of black plastic (vinyl, I think) screen wire, and mud it in just as you would drywall tape.
Gives the seam a lot more "grip".
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: