Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Wallpaper removal & subsequent wall repair

Wallpaper removal & subsequent wall repair

Old 12-30-02, 01:38 PM
Mike Weatherwax
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Wallpaper removal & subsequent wall repair

I began stripping the wall paper from my downstairs half-bath - It is old. Sections of it peeled off easily, while other sections peeled off leaving a cardboard material exposed on the wall. I am not that familiar with drywalling or plaster work, but I assume what has occurred is the adhesive substance (which appears to be a mesh like substance similar to that found in duct tape) that was used to hold the wallpaper to the wall is holding so well that I am peeling the top layer of drywall or plaster from the wall, too. Is this possible? What is the acceptable means of finishing the wall in order to paint it? Thanks for the assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-02, 08:17 PM
When wall paper is applied to drywall without sizing first, it will pull the protective layer of paper off the drywall when removed.. If the paper is not completely gone, you can trowel on a thin layer of lightweight joint compound and sand it smooth, feathering the edges to blend in with the surrounding surface. Prime all surfaces with a PVA primer. If there is any rough paper surface after the primer dries, sand it smooth with 220 grit sandpaper, recoat with the primer, then paint as desired.

The mesh remaining might respond well to some sanding to remove it or at least blend it into the surface. A thin layer of joint compound could be used to help hide it before moving to the next step.